So your previous job was great. You worked in a laid-back environment where you could make untimely jokes, wear what you wanted and get away with missing deadlines.
It’s not to say that your new work environment will be any different, but as a newbie, you may want to take a backseat while you familiarise yourself with your new employer’s boundaries and office culture.
Here are 10 no-no’s when it comes to your new job:
- Using slang, excessive smiley faces or incorrect grammar in emails to colleagues or clients.
- Not setting strict privacy settings on your social media profiles.
- Spending more time on social media or smoking outside than on the job.
- Being late for work often or taking extended lunch breaks.
- Using vulgar language in the office.
- Being unprepared or late for meetings, especially when you are meeting clients.
- Missing deadlines.
- Handing in sloppy work or repeating the same mistakes.
- Having an unprofessional appearance.
- Using company internet for personal use, e.g. streaming music or videos.
Avoid these basic rules and you will find settling into your new job much easier (and more pleasant). Good luck!