Systems Engineer Devops at Parvana
Permanent Intermediate position
Cape Town Region, Western Cape
Market Related cost to company Neg
Job 2054723 | Ref 1001439AX
Posted 06 Jan 2017 by Parvana Strategic Sourcing
About the Position
Systems Engineer (DevOps) (Parvana)
About the Client:
- Our client is a British-based company specialising in sports spread betting.
They provide internet and telephone spread betting as well as wholesale services to a growing number of international betting and gaming operators.
- As a Microsoft Systems specialist you will be passionate about delivering high performance, stable systems which underpin the earning potential of the business. Understanding the importance of response times and high availability will be second nature and of continual focus.
- Youâ€™ll know that up-time and availability are massive factors for success but the systems also need high quality configuration and documentation for support.Â In order to deliver the best possible experience to our client's customers youâ€™ll ensure that their operational, technical, and non-functional requirements are delivered to the highest standard.
Â The Role:
- Work with the wider engineering team, attending project meetings and providing critical analysis of the software and suggestion of improvements to infrastructure and architecture.
- Utilise private Openstack, Rackspace Cloud and AWS to host applications.
- Maintain, provision and deploy infrastructure with a heavy focus on automation.
- Ensure applications are operationally sound by ensuring that availability, scalability, performance, backup and failure concerns are fully met.
- Ensure environments are well proportioned and maintained so that delivery is uninterrupted, test results are credible and that production environments meet application requirements for hardware resources.
- Maintain server health at all times with timely updates of systems software including operating systems.
- Utilize monitoring frameworks to proactively identify application problems focusing on high visibility and alerting to effectively deal with outages and platform health.
- Evaluate and administer third party application software such as caching, messaging and data storage with a focus on open source solutions.
- Provide incident and change management reporting and system design documentation where appropriate.
- Provide 3rd line application support on rotation for the platform and all dependent components.
What weâ€™re looking for
- Proficient Microsoft and Linux (Ubuntu/Centos) administrator experience
- Demonstrable operational support for a 24/7 business heavily dependent on real-time software
- Understanding of TCP/IP stack implementation, as well as good all round understanding of networking
- Deep knowledge of best practice principles for CI and CD, ideally with zero downtime/hot deployment experience
- Experience proactively building for failover within cloud virtualization include network partitioning and cross hypervisor/data centre concerns
- Understanding of load balancing principles and algorithms and experience of using F5 BigIP LTM/GTM, NLB or other load balancers
- Good level of scripting skills on both Windows and Linux with Microsoft Powershell, Bash or other
- Understanding of distributed systems architecture and design principles
- Engaging and an excellent communicator who can self-organize to meet deadlines
- Willingness to explore new technologies and comfortable working across multiple teams with varying levels of expertise and requirements
Must have experience with some of the following
- Network, OS and Application monitoring tools â€“ Splunk, Nagios, Solarwinds Orion, Graphite, Pingdom
- Open source technologies - Redis, RabbitMq, MongoDb, Aerospike, Elasticsearch
- CI/CD Tooling - Â Teamcity, Octopus Deploy
To apply use the application tool above or send us an email to Email Address
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time