What Does a HR Manager do?
The HR Manager’s main responsibility is to head a company’s HR Department and fulfill its recruitment needs by retaining current employees, assisting with questions regarding employee provident/pension funds, making sure the company complies with labour laws and look at the overall happiness of staff.
HR Manager Duties
Typically, a HR Manager will:
- Interview and recruit skills to fill job openings.
- Promote a healthy working environment for staff and management.
- Handle labour disputes and remedy any issues and employee might have.
- Develop and initiate training and orientation plans for new starters.
- Report on the cost of HR and current/future recruitment needs/drive.
- Manage risk by being compliant with South Africa labour laws and recommendations.
- Stay abreast of all labour legislation and evolving needs of the employer and its employees.
- To some extent be involved with payroll and provident fund/pension enquiries.
- Collect and analysing employee data via internal surveys to measure employer satisfaction and develop talent retention strategies.
HR Manager Skills
HR Managers need a unique combination of skills to drive their HR departments to success. Some of these include:
- Must be well-organised and have excellent time-management skills.
- Be a successful negotiator and influencer.
- Analyse information quickly with good problem solving skills.
- Excellent communicator to all levels of management in the company.
- Be good at keeping the peace and manage conflict in the company.
- Real listening skills and respect for keeping information private.
HR Manager CV Must-Haves
Give examples of your proven ability to:
- Build and maintain successful HR.
- Achieve recruitment targets in a tough recruitment.
- Successfully support the needs of a diverse group of employees.
- Manage HR and staff-wellness initiatives within budgetary constraints.
- Deal with conflict that resulted in an amicable outcome.
- Build trust with employees and support them where needed.
HR Manager Interview Questions
The questions you will be asked will vary from company to company. Here are some examples to get your ready for your next interview.
- What do you think makes you a good HR Manager?
- How do you collaborate with departments?
- Tell us about your recruitment strategies and how you attract and hire new talent.
- Have you implemented any employee wellness efforts the past few years?
- Have you ever had to deal with conflict in the workplace? Tell us more about it and how you handled the situation.
HR Manager Qualifications
Typical requirements for the this management role may include:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources.
- Tech: Human Resource Development.
- Any recognised degree or diploma in the Human Resources field.
- Honours Degree in Human Resources, Industrial Psychology or Industrial Relations.
HR Manager Salaries
Your salary as a HR Manager will range from company to company. Below are current sales salary levels based on actual salary offerings on the CareerJunction website (30 000+ jobs monthly) for the latest measurable period (October 2015 to February 2016).
- HR Manager – Management Level: ZAR 34,732 – ZAR 40,632
- HR Manager – Senior Management Level: ZAR 38,500 – ZAR 44,652
HR Manager Resources
Written by CareerJunction