What does an Account Manager do?
Account Managers play an important role in retain existing clients and key customers, as well as achieving assigned sales targets. As an Account Manager your main responsibility is to manage expectations and oversee that a client’s needs are met in a timely fashion.
Account Manager Duties
Typically, an Account Manager will:
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship with clients.
- Coordinate with various teams so that the customer’s expectations are met.
- Continue their assessment of a client’s needs and business objectives.
- Help develop initiatives to increase customer satisfaction and retention.
- Assist all teams to meet financial targets and growth objectives.
- Help management with company-wide strategic planning.
- Upsell a company’s services and solutions.
- Manage a client’s projects from beginning to end.
- Take a client’s requirements and assist with plans to meet those requirements.
Account Manager Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Work well under pressure and commit to deadlines.
- Have excellent people skills and intuitive to customer’s business needs.
- Be well-groomed and presentable.
- Calmly deal with customer complaints and issues.
- The ability to work independently and within a team.
- Good PC and software skills.
- Basic accounting and/or technical knowledge.
Account Manager CV Must-Haves
Don’t let your CV be ignored and make sure to list examples of:
- Your proven sales successes and retention prowess.
- Your skills of making targets and generating new business.
- Your performance and not just responsibilities.
- Your key strengths per job under your career history.
Account Manager Interview Questions
The questions will depend on the job, industry and company. Here are some usual questions to get you ready for your next interview:
- Share with us your retention strategy?
- Give us an example of how you generate new business?
- What are you short and long-term goals in your Account Manager career?
- Have you ever missed a sales target? What have you learned to avoid it happening again?
- How did you deal with an unsatisfied client?
- What did you sell at your previous company and how did you go about selling it?
Account Manager Qualifications
The qualification criteria will depend on the position. You will need a Matric with reasonably good grades. As a working professional, any post-Matric qualifications in sales or business will be a great advantage. Your proven sales and client retention experience will be more important than a qualification… but, stay ahead of other candidates and remain relevant in the job marketing by continuing your education and upskilling.
Account Manager Salaries
Your salary as Account Manager will range from company to company. Below are current salary levels based on actual salary offerings on the CareerJunction website (30 000+ jobs monthly) for the latest measurable period (October 2015 to February 2016).
- Account Manager Junior Level: ZAR 10,667 – ZAR 13,947
- Account Manager Skilled Level: ZAR 18,750 – ZAR 24,951
- Account Manager Senior Level: ZAR 25,438 – ZAR 32,198
Account Manager Resources
Written by CareerJunction